Basics of Forest Farming
- What is agroforestry? What is forest farming?
- What are the terms “non-timber forest products” and “forest farming”? I’ve heard these terms but I’d like more information.
- I’ve heard other terms besides “non-timber forest products.” What are these other terms?
- The general term non-timber forest products embraces many different products. How can we categorize them?
- What are some benefits of forest farming?
- Why should I undertake forest farming?
- Who can practice forest farming?
- How do I get started in forest farming?
- Where do I get seeds or cuttings to start forest farming?
- Who can assist me with my forest farming?
- Where can I find local forest farming mentors?
- Can I make forest farming part of my forest-management plan?
- Can forests with steep gradients be used for forest farming?
- Is there a limit or recommended number of crops that can be grown together in forest farming?
- Is forest farming of highly-valuable medicinals a potentially profitable business? How much money could I make?
- Does harvesting pine straw deplete the soil of nutrients over time?
- What is pine straw, and why would I harvest it?
- How is pine straw harvested?
- Is my forest well suited for harvesting pine straw?
- Which southern pine produces the best straw?
- How do logs get turned into shiitake mushrooms?
- What kinds of trees can be used for log cultivation of mushrooms?